This analysis of paid claims from a physician hospital organization demonstrates that the Vermedx Diabetes Information System improves healthcare costs for adults with diabetes.
Author Affiliations: From the Department of Medicine (BL, CDM), University of Vermont, Burlington, and Vermont Managed Care, Inc (KZ, BHD, JAD, CRF), Colchester.
Funding Source: This work was funded in part by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (R01 DK61167 and K24 of this work.
Author Disclosure: Drs Littenberg and MacLean hold equity in Vermont Clinical Decision Support, LLC, which distributes the Vermedx Diabetes Information System. Mr Zygarowski, Ms Drapola, Dr Duncan, and Mr Frank are
employees of Vermont Managed Care, Inc, which purchases Vermedx Diabetes Information System services for its subscribers.
Authorship Information: Concept and design (BL, CDM, KZ, BHD, CRF); acquisition of data (BL, CDM, KZ, CRF); analysis and interpretation of data (BL, CDM, BHD, JAD, CRF); drafting of the manuscript (BL, JAD); critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content (BL, CDM, KZ, BHD, JAD, CRF); statistical analysis (BL, CRF); provision of study materials or patients (KZ, CRF); obtaining funding (BL); and administrative, technical, or logistic support (KZ, BHD).
Address correspondence to: Benjamin Littenberg, MD, Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, 371 Pearl St, Burlington, VT 05401. E-mail: email@example.com.
1. Saaddine JB, Cadwell B, Gregg EW, et al. Improvements in diabetes processes of care and intermediate outcomes: United States, 1988-2002. Ann Intern Med. 2006;144(7):465-474.
2. American Diabetes Association. Economic costs of diabetes in the U.S. in 2007 [published correction appears in Diabetes Care. 2008;31(6):1271]. Diabetes Care. 2008;31(3):596-615.
3. Wagner EH, Glasgow RE, Davis C, et al. Quality improvement in chronic illness care: a collaborative approach. Jt Comm J Qual Improv. 2001;27(2):63-80.
4. MacLean CD, Littenberg B, Gagnon MS, Reardon M, Turner PD, Jordan C. The Vermont Diabetes Information System (VDIS): study design and subject recruitment for a cluster randomized trial of a decision support system in a regional sample of primary care practices. Clin Trials. 2004;1(6):532-544.
5. MacLean CD, Littenberg B, Gagnon M. Diabetes decision support: initial experience with the Vermont Diabetes Information System. Am J Public Health. 2006;96(4):593-595.
6. Cleveland WS. Visualizing Data. Summit, NJ: Hobart Press; 1993.
7. Rogers WH. Regression standard errors in clustered samples. STATA Technical Bull. 1993;13:19-23.
8. Littenberg B, MacLean CD. Passive consent for clinical research in the age of HIPAA. J Gen Intern Med. 2006;21(3):207-211.