Supplements Best Practices for Natalizumab Utilization in the Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis
Quantifying the Role of Natalizumab in Health and Economic Outcomes in Multiple Sclerosis
Acknowledgment: Editorial support for this manuscript was provided by James Radke.
Author Affiliations: From Hope Neurology (DWB), Knoxville, TN, and University of California, Los Angeles; University of Maryland School of Pharmacy (FTS), Baltimore, MD; and Gemini Healthcare, LLC (MWP), Westbrook, CT.
Funding Source: Financial support for this work, including honoraria, was provided by Biogen Idec.
Author Disclosures: Dr Brandes reports receiving honoraria and lecture fees from and serving as consultant/advisory board member at Bayer, Biogen Idec, EMD Serono, and Teva. Drs Shaya and Pill report no relationship or financial interest with any entity that would pose a conflict of interest with the subject matter of this article.
Authorship Information: Concept and design (DWB, FTS, MWP); analysis and interpretation of data (DWB, MWP); drafting of the manuscript (DWB, FTS, MWP); critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content (DWB, FTS, MWP); supervision (FTS); and approval of final version of manuscript (DWB, FTS, MWP).
Address correspondence to: Fadia T. Shaya, PhD, MPH, Associate Professor, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, 220 Arch St, 12th Fl, Baltimore, MD 21201. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Epidemiology of MS. http:// www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-weknow-about-ms/who-gets-ms/epidemiology-of-ms/index.aspx. Accessed April 18, 2010.
2. Jacobs LD, Wende KE, Brownscheidle CM, et al. A profile of multiple sclerosis: the New York State Multiple Sclerosis Consortium. Mult Scler. 1999;5(5):369-376.
3. Kurtzke JF. Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an expanded disability status scale (EDSS). Neurology. 1983;33(11):1444-1452.
4. Chiaravalloti ND, DeLuca J. Cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis. Lancet Neurol. 2008;7(12):1139-1151.
5. Fisk JD, Pontefract A, Ritvo PG, Archibald CJ, Murray TJ. The impact of fatigue on patients with multiple sclerosis. Can J Neurol Sci. 1994;21(1):9-14.
6. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Symptoms. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-we-knowabout-ms/symptoms/index.aspx. Accessed April 22, 2010.
7. Rudick RA, Miller D, Hass S, et al. Health-related quality of life in multiple sclerosis: effects of natalizumab. Ann Neurol. 2007;62(4):335-346.
8. Kobelt G, Berg J, Atherly D, Hadjimichael O. Costs and quality of life in multiple sclerosis: a cross-sectional study in the United States. Neurology. 2006;66:1696-1702.
9. Prescott JP, Factor S, Pill MW, Levi GW. Descriptive analysis of the direct medical costs of multiple sclerosis in 2004 using administrative claims in a large nationwide database. J Manag Care Pharm. 2007;13(1):44-52.
10. Kobelt G, Berg J, Lindgren P, Fredrikson S, Jönsson B. Costs and quality of life of patients with multiple sclerosis in Europe. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006;77(8):918-926.
11. Kobelt G, Berg J, Lindgren P, et al. Costs and quality of life of multiple sclerosis in Germany. Eur J Health Econ. 2006;7(suppl 2):S34-S44.
12. Miltenburger C, Gunther OH. Do we need new data? Estimating disease costs from published studies-an econometric model approach. Mult Scler. 2009;15:S57.
13. Polman CH, O'Connor PW, Havrdova E, et al; AFFIRM Investigators. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of natalizumab for relapsing multiple sclerosis. N Engl J Med. 2006;354(9):899-910.
14. Rajagopalan K, Agarwal S, Hou L, Kamat S, Stephenson J. What do multiple sclerosis patients experience? Effect of natalizumab on disease-specific quality of life over time. Mult Scler. 2009;15:S1267.
15. Foley JA. The efficacy of natalizumab in patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis in a clinical practice setting. Poster presented at: 61st Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology; Seattle, WA; April 25-May 2, 2009.
16. Stephenson JJ, Kamat SA, Rajagopalan K, Agarwa SS, Singer J. Early effects of natalizumab on patient reported fatigue and cognitive function. Poster presented at: 61st Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology; Seattle, WA; April 25-May 2, 2009.
17. Putzki N, Yaldizli O, Tettenborn B, Diener HC. Multiple sclerosis associated fatigue during natalizumab treatment. J Neurol Sci. 2009;285(1-2):109-113.
18. Rudick RA, Polman CH, Cohen JA, et al. Assessing disability progression with the Multiple Sclerosis Functional Composite. Mult Scler. 2009;15(8):984-997.
19. Chiao E, Meyer K. Cost effectiveness and budget impact of natalizumab in patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis. Curr Med Res Opin. 2009;25(6):1445-1454.
20. Kobelt G, Berg J, Lindgren P, et al. Modeling the cost-effectiveness of a new treatment for MS (natalizumab) compared with current standard practice in Sweden. Mult Scler. 2008;14(5):679-690.
21. Gani R, Giovannoni G, Bates D, Kemball B, Hughes S, Kerrigan J. Cost-effectiveness analyses of natalizumab (Tysabri) compared with other disease-modifying therapies for people with highly active relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis in the UK. Pharmacoeconomics. 2008;26(7):617-627.
22. Earnshaw SR, Graham J, Oleen-Burkey M, Castelli-Haley J, Johnson K. Cost effectiveness of glatiramer acetate and natalizumab in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Appl Health Econ Health Policy. 2009;7(2):91-108.
23. Data on file, Biogen Idec.
24. Aforismo JF, Pill MW, Prescott JP. Initiating drug therapy in multiple sclerosis patients: effect on healthcare costs. Am J Pharm Benefits. 2010;2(1):59-65.